Lima Bean with Dill Rice BAGALI SHEVID POLOW
(Serves 6 to 8 )
The following recipes are from "Secrets of Cooking" by Linda
Chirinian (ISBN 0-9617033-0-X Lionhart Inc. New Canaan, CT).
This exotic Iranian dish can be served with plain yogurt
spooned over the rice, or with roast chicken, barbecued larnb chops, or
steak. A straight-sided, non-stick, saucepan is the best kind of pot to
use for this recipe.
- PREPARATION TIME: 20 MINUTES (plus
soaking for rice)
- COOKING TIME: 45 MINUTE
- 1 recipe Steamed Rice
- 1 package (10 ounce) frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 14 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups freshly chopped dill
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into 1/inch slices (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon threads crushed and steeped in 2
- tablespoons hot water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Prepare Steamed Rice . Melt 4 tablespoons butter in
a non-stick 6-quart saucepan. Arrange potato slices in single layer in
- Spread one-third of prepared rice over potatoes. Salt
and pepper. Cover with half of lima beans, and half of dill. Cover with
half of remaining rice and remainder of lima beans and dill. Top with remaining
rice. Keep ingredients mounded high in center so steam can circulate. Sprinkle
4 cup water over rice. Slice remaining butter, place over rice. Cover
rice with waxed paper. Wrap cover of pot in kitchen towel and place over
saucepan to keep steam inside.
- Cook over medium-high heat 8 minutes, reduce heat to
low, and cook 35 minutes or until rice is soft and fluffy.
- Set 1 cup rice aside. Mound remaining rice on serving
dish. Remove potatoes from saucepan with spatula and place around rice
or in separate dish. Sprinkle reserved cup of rice with saffron and mix
well. Spread saffron rice on top of plain rice. Season with salt and pepper.
- VARIATION: When layering rice, add 1 large onion, chopped
and sauted in butter, 6 broiled lamb chops or 2 pounds cooked boneless
lamb shoulder cubes, or 6 cooked chicken cutlets. Increase cooking time
by 15 minutes.
Last modified: 23 Jun 1996 Yellow