Trail Summary (our accomplishments)
- The Old Railroad Grade Trail - Mount Tam
- The Hoo Koo E Koo Trail - Mount Tam
- Length of the ride...35 miles (~10 miles dirt).
- What to bring........Mountain/hybrid bike, helmet, warm cloths, and water.
- Where to meet........SF Presidio.
101 North and follow 101 through SF (i.e., Van Ness).
Almost at the end of Van Ness (after Lombard) turn left on Bay St.
Turn right on Laguna.
Laguna turns left and becomes Marina blvd. At this point, you will
be driving by the bay and will have a view of the Golden Gate Bridge.
The entrance to Presidio is on Marina blvd after the open grass area
(and yacht clubs) on the right. We will meet in the first parking
lot on your right after you enter the gate.
- The China Grade Trail
- What to bring....... Mountain/Hybrid bike, helmet, water, and warm cloths.
- Terrain............. Hilly.
- Length of the ride.. 28 Miles, mostly dirt.
- Where to meet....... The Big Basin State Park Headquarters.
- Directions: From Saratoga, take Highway 9 and continue
on 9 passed skyline (i.e., hwy 35). Take hwy 236 off
of hwy 9. The Park Headquarters is on 236 about eight
miles from 9 & 236 junction.
- The Red & White Fleet Trail
The Route starts at the SF Presidio and extends to Tiburon via the Golden
Gate bridge and Sausalito. At Tiburon, we will have the option of
catching the ferry back to the Fisherman's Wharf.
- Length of the ride.. 18 miles (all paved).
- What to bring....... Any kind of bike, helmet, and water.
- Terrain............. Flat and downhill!
- Where to meet....... At the Marina gate of SF Presidio.
- The Grizzly Flat Trail
The ride I am proposing for Sunday offers the mighty Monte Bello road
to reckon with -- a 2000-foot incline over 6 miles. It's a wicked
uphill with awesome views and minimal car traffic. Near the top, we can
stop at the Ridge Winery and do a little wine tasting (...only a misdemeanor
to Ride Under the Influence!!). On the way down, we will take the Stevens
Canyon Trail which drops steeply into a canyon created by the San Andreas.
- Length of the ride... ~21 miles (~half of it dirt).
- What to bring........ Mountain/hybrid bike, helmet, energy bars, and water.
- Terrain.............. hilly... but very scenic!
- Where to meet........ Stevens Creek County Park.
- Directions (from 101):
Take 85 south. Take Stevens Creek exit and turn right at the light.
Foothills Blvd turns into Steven Canyon road. After a couple of miles,
you'll see the park on your left (If you reach the reservoir you have
gone too far). We will meet at the first parking lot on your left after
you enter the park.
- The Saratoga Gap Trail
The route I am proposing for next Sunday is mostly downhill except one
tiny 1900-foot elevation gain over 8 miles. The Stevens Canyon trail near
Cupertino runs alongside the Stevens Creek Reservoir and extends to the Black Mountain
Summit via the Monte Bello road. The trail lies on the San Andreas fault
and is frequented by tarantulas during the fall season!
- Where to meet....... Coffee Society in Cupertino (across De Anza College).
- length of the ride.. ~24 miles (~half of it dirt).
- What to bring....... Mountain/hybrid bike, helmet, energy bars, and water.
- terrain............. No Comment (i.e., kind of hilly but very scenic!).
- The Big Basin Loop Trail
Probably most people in their right mind would not budge for this ride
but it is worth tossing up for grabs. The loop starts from downtown
Saratoga and extends to the Big Basin State Park and Boulder Creek
before it winds back to Skyline and Route 9.
- Distance....... ~60 Miles, all paved.
- Terrain........ Hilly (two climbs).
- What to bring.. Any bike, helmet, water, energy bars, and warm cloths.
Doreh Home Page